The following events took place on January 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 155 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 153 BCRoman consuls begin their year in office.
- 45 BCThe Julian calendar takes effect as the civil calendar of the Roman Empire, establishing January 1 as the new date of the new year.
- 42 BCThe Roman Senate posthumously deifies Julius Caesar
- 69The Roman legions in Germania Superior refuse to swear loyalty to Galba. They rebel and proclaim Vitellius as emperor.
- 193The Senate chooses Pertinax against his will to succeed Commodus as Roman emperor.
- 404An infuriated Roman mob tears Telemachus, a Christian monk, to pieces for trying to stop a gladiators’ fight in the public arena held in Rome.
- 414Galla Placidia, half-sister of Emperor Honorius, is married to the Visigothic king Ataulf at Narbonne. The wedding is celebrated with Roman festivities and magnificent gifts from the Gothic booty.
- 417Emperor Honorius forces Galla Placidia into marriage to Constantius, his famous general (magister militum).
- 1001Grand Prince Stephen I of Hungary is named the first King of Hungary by Pope Sylvester II.
- 1068Romanos IV Diogenes marries Eudokia Makrembolitissa and is crowned Byzantine Emperor.
- 1259Michael VIII Palaiologos is proclaimed co-emperor of the Empire of Nicaea with his ward John IV Laskaris.
- 1438Albert II of Habsburg is crowned King of Hungary.
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is first explored by the Portuguese.
- 1515King Francis I of France succeeds to the French throne.
- 1527Croatian nobles elect Ferdinand I of Austria as King of Croatia in the Parliament on Cetin.
- 1600Scotland begins its numbered year on January 1 instead of March 25.
- 1651Charles II is crowned King of Scotland.
- 1700Russia begins using the Anno Domini era and no longer uses the Anno Mundi era of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1707John V is crowned King of Portugal.
- 1739Bouvet Island is discovered by French explorer Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)